22.6.10

Smooth as Satin

Dry, rough skin is unattractive. The skin appears dull and flaky. It may also feel itchy and uncomfortable.

Some of the common culprits of dry skin are genetics, dehydration, sun and wind exposure, poor diet and use of harsh soaps.


I still consider myself lucky because I only have to deal with mild skin dryness mainly due to change in weather. No red or white patches, itching and cracking. I simply follow the basics- drink lots of water, shower in lukewarm water because hot water removes natural oils from our skin, put on moisturizer or lotion right after every bath to seal in moisture, avoid exposure to the sun and apply sunscreen.


The skin on my elbows, knees and heels tend to be the driest. Even if I applied generous amounts of moisturizers, I still didn't get the smooth skin that I wanted. My frustration ended when my sister introduced Glysolid.


Glysolid is a glycerin cream. Glycerin is a humectant- it attracts moisture to the skin. It is highly hygroscopic- it absorbs water from air. It is a common ingredient of soaps, lotions, aftershave creams, make-up removers and toothpaste.

I first tried applying the cream on my elbows and knees. After two days of use (twice a day) the skin on my elbows and knees became smoother. Since then, I also apply the cream on my feet (paying more attention to my heels), put on socks and leave it overnight. When I wake up in the morning, my feet feel so young and soft.



Glysolid is with me at work too. I use it as a hand cream. A small amount is enough for moisturizing during my daily eight-hour stay in an air-conditioned room.

What I also love about Glysolid is its light texture. It doesn’t leave a greasy and heavy feel after application. Also, even if I forget to put on lotion or moisturizer, my skin still feels healthy and soft after a day or two.


This skin treat fits my budget. For P390 a 250-ml tin lasts four to six months depending on usage. It is not locally available so if you purchase one, you need to pay for the freight fee (around P100 to P120 depending on your location).

No comments: