11.9.10

Silver Hair and Golden Heart

Tomorrow, September 12 is National Grandparents’ Day.


Marian Mccardy of Oak Hill, West Virginia is the founder of National Grandparents Day. 
On August 3, 1978, then-President Jimmy Carter signed the proclamation
The statute cites the day's purpose as:
 "... to honor grandparents, 
to give grandparents an opportunity to show love for their children's children, 
and to help children become aware of strength, 
information, and guidance older people can offer".


My siblings and I grew up in the care of our grandmother who we call Inang. (By the way, Inang’s husband (our Lolo) died even before we were born so we didn’t have the chance to know him.) Since both our parents work as bank employees, Inang took care of us. My fondest memory of her is when she would feed and bathe us altogether. She would also ask us to pull out her white hair in exchange of a few peso coins or candies.

Now that we are grown-ups Inang moved out to her real home, a 45-minute drive away from our house. She is now 74 years old, not as strong and vibrant as before but she still recognizes all of us when we visit her. She exchanges stories with us and still gives us candies or chips to bring home.

My grandparents from Papa’s side are in the province, a 4-hour road trip from our place. We visit them at least twice a year especially during the Christmas holidays. My Lola is always teary-eyed when we bid goodbye. She would tell us ‘You’re leaving again. It will be months again when I will see my grandchildren.’ It leaves me teary-eyed too.  We give them a call every weekend when we are all in the house so we can share our own little stories to them. Although we are far from each other, the connection remains strong and I am truly grateful for that.

My only wish for my grandparents is that God will give them longer lives and healthier bodies. They did a really great job in upbringing Papa and Mama. They have taught and embedded in us the values of respect, discipline and God-fear.

To my Inang, Lola and Lolos, happy grandparents’ day! I love you very much!
How about you? What's your fondest memory of your grandparents? 
The reason grandchildren and grandparents get along so well is that they have a common enemy.  ~Sam Levenson

7 comments:

Bechay said...

Hi, dropping-by here. Nice blog!

I grew up up in the care of my lolo and lola too.. I missed them both. My lolo passed away only last year.

Oh I am new follower. Hope to see you hopping-by at my page.

Rohini said...

"The reason grandchildren and grandparents get along so well is that they have a common enemy. " Haha, so true!
I remember this one time my granddad took me to a water park and we spent the whole day there; it was a blast. :)
Xx

Shop N' Chomp said...

Hi! Thanks for your comment and for following. =D

I didn't know there was a National Grandparents’ Day but it sounds like a wonderful way to honor them!

Unknown said...

Ohh~ this is really makes me miss my grandparents... my fondest memory definitely has to be that when I visited them, my grandma would always give a bowl of frosted flakes. And when we play around the house we'd find utensils everywhere b/c my grandpa liked to hide them ^_^;;...my mom said that's what they used to do during the war~

MariaKristela said...

Hello Bechay, CC, Shop N' Chomp and Elle! Thanks for leaving your comments! I really appreciate them. :)

Grandparents are really a big part of our lives, right? Really miss them a lot. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Grandparents' Day! I'm missing my Lolo and Lola now. *sniff*

MariaKristela said...

Thanks for dropping by Novie! Me too I miss my grandparents..